Saturday, December 8, 2012

Starting the Gluten Free Journey

I totally mastered the 'Atkins' diet for over a year; I ate potatoes 4 times in 12 months, and transitioned all my grains to whole wheat...but now I still am not down to my actual goal weight. I am totally pleased with my body--but I have been looking into doing something new in order to lose my last 5-7 lbs.

The owner of Pure Barre Savannah is not only in great shape from Pure Barre, but everyone knows staying in shape is not just exercise (unless you have freakishly awesome metabolism--in which I am jealous). Brook said she feels so much better avoiding gluten, sticking to high protein and fruits and veggies...

I was also telling my long time friend Karlis--who's whole family is in rediculously good shape (we will credit theirs to exercise, diet and beautiful genetics) that I was considering cutting out the grains and sticking to corn, and allowing some rice and potatoes again...and looking up info on that I realized the Gluten free diet was the way to go.

When looking through gluten free recipes I realized some of my favorite meals can be delicious and still gluten free--including shrimp and grits. So that was my 'kick off' meal two nights ago!

Yesterday I went head first--and I felt a bit 'puffy' (that's my lady like word for bloated)--but that's totally my fault for eating nearly a whole bag of 'pirate's booty'--which is gluten free but not really a diet food if you eat the whole bag, lol!

For breakfast, my friend Regina and I took our kids to the Pancake House. I had coffee, cheese grits, and sausage. For lunch I mostly snacked on grapes, and the Pirate's Booty. But for dinner I made red beans and rice. Rice in it's natural form is gluten free, but sometimes thickening agents are added to the rice or way it is prepared. I bought some gluten free basmati rice and made my red beans and rice. It was more than delicious--I can't wait to have left overs for lunch!

This morning I had Van's gluten free waffles; I spread butter on them and drizzled honey over them. They were a bit crumbly--but delicious!

I am a bit concerned gaining weight on potatoes or rice--so I'll still have to limit those, which stinks because although I don't crave them like I used to, they can indeed be delicious, and they are an inexpensive way to make a meal!

3 comments:

  1. How do you know it's gluten free? I know that is a stupid question, but I've heard of the gluten free diet, but I haven't seen any products labled gluten free....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try looking in different areas of the grocery store!

    Our Kroger has an AWESOME natural foods section as well as a gluten free section. They make EVERY kind of gluten free thing now--frozen waffles by Van's has great gluten free waffles; quinoa pastas instead of grain pastas, etc. A lot of corn products are gluten free--like 'pirate's booty' and 'off the border' tortilla trips--they both say gluten free right on the package!

    After all the low carb stuff we talked about this is way easier to stick to...still can have a potato or some rice or a pasta made of not wheat--it's a healthier way of living; less processed food, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok.... this sounds tough but I'll look in to it lol

    ReplyDelete