Sunday, September 2, 2012

AMAZING Stuffed Tomatoes

I have always LOVED the idea of stuffed peppers...but when I make them I never finish the whole pepper...I can't make myself eat the whole pepper, even though I love the taste! I saw a pasta stuffed tomato recipe and thought...there has to be a way to stuff a tomato without carbs!

WELL these were DELICIOUS! My husband just asked I not use 'hot' sausage next time, but I liked the spiciness! They were delicious and the tomatoes became wonderfully soft and they were juicy and so flavorful!!!

4 to 6 large slicing tomatoes
1 lb ground sausage, hot or milk
1 cooked chicken breast (I used one left over I had already cooked; it had been marinated in Italian dressing); chopped into VERY small pieces
1/4 cup mayo
1 egg
1 GENEROUS cup shredded mozzarella
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp minced garlic

Pam/Cooking Spray
Shredded Parm for tops
Parsley Flakes for tops

cut the tops off tomatoes and scoop out the insides; i thought this would be difficult but i got less ripened, tougher tomatoes and that proved helpful...if you kind of move the knife in a circle to loosen the inside fruit you can then gently use a spoon and scoop it all out

mix all other ingredients for the insides in a large bowl; make sure they are thoroughly mixed well! Don't want a big bite of garlic, or basil, etc., and you want the flavors to cook together in each.

Place tomatoes in greased/cooking sprayed casserole dish. Stuff each one gently with mixture; I made 4 overflowing tomatoes but you could easily make 6 full ones.

Press parm cheese onto tops and sprinkle with parsley flakes.

Spray with Pam/Cooking oil--will make them tender and cook well.

Cook on 350 about 35 minutes until cooked throughout; I cut one open to make sure sausage was done!


If you want to speed up the process, cook your ground sausage first and then you just have to bake until tomatoes soften :)

No comments:

Post a Comment